This is a garlicky version of a very popular Southern grits casserole—a classic comfort food.
Hands-on: 15 minutes
Total: 1 hour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a medium baking dish.
- Bring milk and chicken broth to a rolling boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk grits into boiling mixture. Boil for about 8 minutes, stirring until thick and grits are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter with minced garlic in the microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat. Let stand for about 5 minutes. Strain butter into boiling grits mixture. Discard garlic.
- Stir in salt and beaten eggs until well blended.
- Spread grits mixture in the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Bake for 45 minutes until puffy and cheese is melted.